Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

RachSANECEO

National Sorry Day

Today, May 26 is National Sorry Day which is a day of remembrance and reflection acknowledging the historical harm, mistreatment and injustices suffered by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through past and continuing policies of child removal and family separation. 

It is also a day to acknowledge the incredible strength and survivorship of Stolen Generations and their families.

I am marking the day spending a beautiful morning at a Sydney Sorry Day event with my own family and kids. 

There are choirs singing, cultural education and yarn tents, speakers, face painting for kids, market stalls with food and beautiful artwork and jewellery and families sitting in the sun. 

I can’t help but think that sitting in the sun, with a bit of food and listening to music holding your kids is the most natural thing in the world. 

And the taking of babies and children from their mothers and fathers, their families, communities and culture is our deepest national shame and a trauma that still echoes through the generations.

There is so much healing still needed. 

Please take a moment today if you can, to reflect on how we can all help support healing, and during the next week I’d encourage everyone in the SANE community to join a National Reconciliation Week event, you can find events in your area on this calendar.

https://www.reconciliation.org.au/calendar

4 REPLIES 4

Re: National Sorry Day

January 26?

oh my gosh @chibam my place is all over the head how embarrassing. I was trying so carefully to get that post right and I don't know what month it is. A bit of a freudian slip if ever there was one. Thanks for the correction. :Facepalm:

Thank you for posting the beautiful and moving post above, @RachSANECEO . I agree. 

Thanks for this post @RachSANECEO

I am feeling very grateful work has let me leave early to visit my oldest childs school for their Reconciliation Day Event
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance