Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Tried a new exercise place and I’m struggling

Hi @Gwynn 

I have a physical issue as well, although these days my walking is pretty good. However, I do get chronic pain as a result of my injury. I have tried a few different exercise programs with differing results. I spent 3 months in rehabilitation when I first injured myself and I had a really inspiring physiotherapist. She listened to me and we worked together really well. Later I tried a personal trainer, but he pushed me beyond my limits pain wise and I dreaded going to the sessions - mentally it was a real problem. I have also had an exercise physiologist and she was reasonably good but she was only medium term because she was attached to the local mental health service. I guess the point I am trying to make here is that the clinician really, really matters to me when it comes to exercise. I'm not sure you should settle for someone that you don't gel with, because it does make all the difference, even if they come well recommended. Being confident to be able to set boundaries and those boundaries be listened to and respected is a minimum when it comes to a physical disability and exercise. Listen to your brain and your body. 

What type of exercise clinician are they....physiotherapist, personal trainer, exercise physiologist or something else? In my case my NDIS Support Coordinator was able to recommend a new physiotherapist, she came last week and so far she seems good, but I don't really have the funding for physiotherapy at the moment....so I might have to wait til after my next review. 

And I'm sorry you had a fall, I know how scary that can be. 

@tyme , this person who gave me the gold star is the second opinion. I feel like I’m going to run out of people with enough qualifications to deal with my disability before I find someone who can respect me as the client (not as the compliant product). Thank you for confirming that this is weird, I am struggling with how to word it in a way that will help me get heard rather than dismissed.

Hey @Gwynn 

Would writing a letter to the clinician help in how to word things? That way you have time to think about what you want to say to them in a way that they would hopefully be receptive to. 

Honestly I feel like I’m obsessing over if I find the perfect words then I’ll be respected and safe, which is garbage because even if I don’t express myself perfectly I should still be respected and safe.

Hey @Gwynn 

You should absolutely be respected whether you are word perfect or not. It's not easy to set boundaries and they should be listened to. Hope things improve. 

@OM108 , nice to meet you. I’m returning to supervised exercise after having had unbearable pain (which turned out to be an injury) and being shouted at by my previous exercise “professional” (please excuse the sarcastic quotation marks.) The goal is to get appropriate support to do exercises that will maintain my abilities and just generally make a triumphant return to regular exercise. Not crying , dreading every second, or not wanting to have a body for days after each session would be a miracle. Enjoying exercise has never been on the cards for me.

@Gwynn 

ah yes that all makes sense and it is great to have clear goals.... and to recognise what motivates you and know what you don't want.

I LOVE that you use the word TRIUMPHANT! It makes me want to get out a trumpet and celebrate that goal with you! Nothing less than triumphant! I hope you find someone to work WITH you, to create those miracles that you know are out there.

I would like to say...don't give up on your goals. Sometimes we have to go through a bit of pain and effort to get there.... and it is that self-determination, patience and real grit that builds up inner and outer strength over time (mental, physical and emotional). I think you just the need the right support to feel seen and respected.

Best wishes

Hey there @Gwynn 🙂

Ive just read through your posts and Im sorry youve had some less than helpful experiences which have not helped.

I wondered if keeping some key points on a note in your phone or on a post it note could help, in terms of reading them before you attend a session with the current health professional? 

I sometimes write stuff like key points I want to address during the appointment, and reminders that my value, boundaries and needs are paramount over and above what anybody else wants me to do for them to hit their goals instead of mine.

In terms of the after feeling of exercise, I wondered if a warm bath (if you have one), or lay down in a neutral position might help (which is using pillows to achieve that 'weightless' position like in an adjustable bed), or some other reorientation (for want of a better word) to feeling ok in your body.. like gentle progressive stretches, or gentle rotations of joints like wrists and ankles.. I do this because I have peripheral neuropathy and I cant feel my lower legs and arms from elbows down.. exercise makes them feel pretty awful, so I tend to do gentle movements and stretches. 

I hope there might be something helpful in there for you, and even if not, you have my gentle care and understanding of the discomfort that is happening for you xx 🙂 

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your practical advice on this subject, it’s helping me reassure my overwhelm.

When I was a child, no exercises I did seemed to make me move better, they only made me crash afterwards with tiredness and sadness and whirling thoughts. It's going to be hard to rewrite my thoughts about exercise - does anyone have any ideas?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance